Saturday, January 3, 2009

Christmas

Christmas really snuck up on me this year and was gone just as quick. Things did not turn out as expected but all in all it was a great holiday. Skylier and I were making and changing our plans up until Christmas Eve. Finally we agreed that we would spend Christmas Eve with his Mom and Step dad, get up early Christmas morning and head to Idaho to be with my family and then Friday drive to West Yellowstone to be with his Dad and step mom. We had the car packed, arrangements for the dogs and all the gifts wrapped for 3 Christmas's.

The first stop went off great. We had dinner with Sky's "Utah family" including Athina who was in town from Cali, exchanged gifts and played some good old competitive rook. Side note, A GIRL FINALLY WON, thanks Athina! It really started snowing and by the time we headed home it was zero visibility and slow going. We didn't let that alter our plans, we came home and finished getting everything ready.

Christmas morning was not as ideal. The roads were closed to Idaho, both ways. We even considered driving to Montana first, but the roads were closed that direction too. We checked the road conditions very hour or so and no luck. At that point it was late enough we decided even if the roads opened it wasn't worth the risk. So we went back to Sky's mom's for a turkey dinner and of course more games and rook. Again, ALL 3 GIRLS WON, 1st, 2nd & 3rd!!! I was still optimistic that Friday we could still make it to Idaho but mother nature had other plans, the roads were still closed. So at this point, I have all my parents gifts, gifts for my Grandma from other family members and missed Christmas, including the tree at my moms.

The important thing is we were safe and still had family to be with. As of now my parents are coming my way in January for dentistry, so we will have a belated Christmas celebration. Maybe I should finally put up a tree. It would be strange to be opening Christmas gifts with Valentines decor up... Hope everyone had a VERY MERRY Christmas!!

















2 comments:

Mike,Shar,Ryan,Rex said...

Hey, I was wondering when you were going to update:) Sorry you didn't get to Idaho for Christmas but it looks like you had a great time with Skyliers family anway. Hope all is well.

Heather said...

Ooh . . . I didn't know you guys played rook. Next time we get together, we'll have to break out the deck. Many people don't know how to play and it's tough to catch onto quickly. (I, of course, will be there to boost everyone's self-esteems as my place is regularly at the end of the score card!)